Ayrton Senna is viewed by many as the most brilliant Formula One driver who ever raced. His death on Sunday, May 1st, 1994, was as public as it was shocking: over 200 million people were watching as his Williams-Renault veered off the Imola, Italy track at the San Marino Grand Prix and careened into a concrete wall. Less known are the details of this incomparable driver's life, and that is the story that Tom Rubython tells here for the first time. In this in-depth biography of Ayrton Senna, the author and his collaborators follow the great champion's life from his earliest days to his first race, through his pole positions and world championships, to his early death and its aftermath. Finally, from these pages, a clear and vibrant picture emerges of a man who very likely was the greatest racing driver of all time.
FOREWORD: GERHARD BERGER
PHOTOGRAPHY: KEITH SUTTON
PUBLISHER: BOOKS BUSINESSF1
5 Pin´s and a Tie Bar.
1- A MILESTONE IN THE HISTORY OF F1:
*GP of Monaco in 1984 / Toleman team. In his first season in Formula 1, for the Toleman team, Senna starts from 12th position. After completing 30 laps, under a heavy rain, he was in an incredible 2nd place. In the 32nd lap, the race is stopped when he started to overtake Prost that held the first position, which would put him as the race leader. But despite his frustration, Senna was showing the world that his talent was uncomparable.
2 - 1st VICTORY
*Portugal GP 1985 / Team Lotus. According to the 1985 season, Senna started won on one of the races with the heaviest rains in the 80`s. First victory of Senna in F1. Indeed, a demonstration of what was to come.
3 - THE KING OF MONACO.
* GP of Monaco 1987 / Team Lotus. Despite the clear inferiority of his car comparing with the ones of the big teams, Senna wins his first Race in the Monaco GP. That would be the first of 6 wins throughout his career in this difficult circuit. No pilot has ever achieved this , and therefore, Ayrton Senna is called The King of Monaco.
4 - TRI-CHAMPION.
* GP of Japan 1991 / Team Mclaren. Unforgetable conquest of the 3rd World Championship. The title was undecided until the last GP of the season, the GP of Japan. Emotion and adrenaline until the end of the race. A real battle between the McLaren and Williams, where Senna showed, once again, why he is the best driver of all time.
5 - Ayrton Senna of Brazil
* GP of Brazil 1993 / Team Mclaren. In his last season at McLaren, Senna wins a spectacular victory in the circuit of Interlagos / SP, for delight of Brazil.
An extraordinary piece of art relief portraying Ayrton Senna´s 94 helmet. Hand made by molding a single sheet of carbon-fibre around half a full-scale helmet, then painted to match Ayrton´s 94 helmet identically, creates a truly unique and masterful piece of memorabilia.
Limited Edition 100 pieces worldwide.
In 1991, Rheos/Honda gave Mr.Josuke Sato the challenge of reducing Ayrton Senna´s helmet weight using his special technique. All at Rheos/Honda, including Ayrton, were impressed when he reduced the amount of paint used only 20 grams without reducing the quality of the paint job. This was the link that sparked Mr. Sato´s passionate admiration for Ayrton Senna and gave him the vision of creating a memorial piece that would keep the spirit of Ayrton Senna alive. From this vision came the Ayrton Senna Helmet Relief.
Using a similar technique and material as used in molding F1 machine parts, Mr Sato took a piece of flat carbon-fibre and hand molded it around the left-half side of the same type of helmet used by Ayrton in 1994. This created the effect that 'half' the helmet was protruding out of the carbon plate. He then hand-painted the half helmet to match exactly 'half' the helmet worn by Ayrton in 94 complete with half a visor. The next step in the process involves applying two clear finish coats. As the total process is done by hand, only two pieces per day can be made. Looking at the protruding image, one can almost feel Senna´s presence!
THE ASF APRROVAL:
The first piece, 001/100 of the 100 limited edition piece was given to the Ayrton Senna Foundation with hopes that Senna family would approve of the careful craftsmanship and passion put into the making of this unique Senna memorial piece of art. Aprpoval was received and 99 more people were offer the opportunity of owning one of these 100 Limited Edition pieces of Ayrton Senna art.
* Size: W59 X H47 X D13cm
* Material: Body - Carbon-fibre. Frame - Aluminum.
* Made in Japan.
* Ayrton Senna signature and limited edition number engraved in plaque.
"The Karting World Championship forever eluded him"